Thursday, September 5, 2013

From the iPad of Kellye Self...

As you collate free apps to report on, I have found a great one.  It is called “Pearltrees.”  It allows you to connect information/bookmarks/pictures, notes you type up yourself, etc. into a “tree” with each piece of information being a pearl.  I downloaded it last fall and thought it had promise but couldn’t come up with how I would use it.  This weekend, I revisited it.  My AP students are writing weekly blogs this fall and this turned out to be a terrific way to curate them all into one place, share it with all of them, and let us all read and learn together through a shared bookmark system.  We needed them to be easily accessible because one part of the assignment requires them to read each other’s blogs and comment….rotating whose blog they read and comment on each week.

My brain has been working overtime on how to use it for my regular classes.  I am going to have them create learning playlists that everyone can share and access together.  The app allows users to “team up” together and then everyone on the same team can see the other member’s “pearls” (notes/bookmarks).  If they all team up with me, I can further share their work with everyone in the class. 

I think this App has some great possibilities as a collaborative tool and as an alternative to presentations to the class.  I plan to use it to curate information and then let them read through each other’s playlists and answer a series of questions/complete a scavenger hunt/writing assignment/assessment/whatever.


As I was working on lesson plans for next week and setting due dates, Wednesday’s date popped out at me.  I don’t know how many of you are interested in doing lessons about 9-11, but I found the following sites to have pretty robust lists of ideas and lessons.  I plan to use one from the 911memorial site personally.  Just thought I’d share in case anyone was interested.

http://www.nytimes.com/learning/general/specials/terrorism/sept11lessons.html
http://www.educationworld.com/a_lesson/lesson244.shtml
 
Kellye Self
U.S. Government
A.P. U.S. Government & Politics

From the iPad of Nikki Robertson...

When too many people are streaming videos from YouTube or any other source it can overload the system.

I always try to download any videos I know I am going to use.  That way I’m playing it from my computer and not streaming.



Nikki

No comments:

Post a Comment