Monday, August 26, 2013

From the iPad of Matt Walker...

Welcome back! I just wanted to let everyone know of a great resource I have used in the past that is now free. The New York Times puts out a bi-weekly magazine called Upfront and I used to get my students to get a subscription to this publication and would do classroom activities with it in class. It is a great way to work on reading comprehension skills, ACT prep, as well as teach history/current events. My students in the past loved these reading days in class and I would have them write responses to certain articles or give them writing prompts to go along with a reading.

They have an online student edition which is free, but since it uses the flash player, they are not iPad friendly (I know there is an app that lets you use flash on the ipad, I just don’t recall what it is…). You can do a “screen capture” of a page or two and just put it into a word document and share it that way if you want to use the iPads with it. Or, you can use it as a homework assignment if you wish.

There is also a free teacher’s edition for each issue that has writing prompt suggestions and reading quizzes for most articles. I highly recommend checking it out and seeing if you might want to use it in your classroom in some fashion. I think it makes for a great advisory activity and discussion.



From the iPad of Janet Ort...
 
Interesting Facebook guidelines for educators:
 

From the iPad of Isabeth Gannon...
 
L.A. teachers give their new iPads a test drive

No comments:

Post a Comment