Thursday, October 18, 2012

Inspiration- From the iPad of Susan Norris...




Hey guys!  As many of you know, last year my family added to new precious children.  Paul and Matthew were adopted from Uganda, and they are in the 6th grade here at Brock’s Gap intermediate School.  Needless to say, I have learned a TON about ESL and how difficult it is for children to start school with such a language deficit.

I just wanted to share with you all a conversation that my son Paul and I had the other day.  He was working on homework and it was just the two of us sitting at the kitchen table.  I asked him some questions about school – here and Uganda.  Then I said tell me one thing you like and dislike about your school here and your old school in Uganda.  He had lots to say about Uganda – good and bad.  But then he started talking about school here.  Here is what he shared with me……

(Imagine his accent and broken English as you read)
“Mom, in Uganda, the teacher comes in class and teaches to EVERYONE.  Most of time, I do not understand.  But here in America, my teachers teach to ME (and he pointed right at his chest).  They like for me to learn.”

It just made me cry.  As a parent, I was so thankful for his team of teachers that were making a difference in his life.  As a teacher, I sat back and really evaluated myself.  The questions I kept asking myself were……

Do my students think this about me?

Do I really care if each student in my class is learning or am I just teaching to the masses?

We are so blessed to work here at HHS.  I have the most incredible colleagues, the most supportive administration, and the GREATEST students and parents.  Hope this challenges you like it did me.

Tweets from around HHS:









No comments:

Post a Comment